Can High Blood Pressure Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
The most common causes of
ED are a variety of medical conditions, certain medications, and
also lifestyle habits that interfere with the ability of blood to flow to and
Hypertension or high blood pressure has no real symptoms. It is more of a silent killer as often men and women aren't aware that they are suffering from it. Nevertheless, it is a major medical condition and if hypertension is left untreated it can ultimately lead to erectile dysfunction, stroke, heart disease and other medical conditions.
Causes Of Hypertension And Erectile Dysfunction
|The most common causes of high blood pressure and
impotence include the following:
1. High blood pressure stops the arteries in the penis from dilating as they must do in order to achieve and maintain erections. It also allows the penis to lose the ability to relax and as a result there is an insufficient amount of blood flowing to the area.
2. Men suffering from hypertension more often than not have low
testosterone levels which plays a very important part in all areas
of a man's sex life.
3. Some hypertension medications are heavily linked with actually
dysfunction. The most common medications are diuretics that are
otherwise known as water pills and also beta-blocker medications.
Why Medications Can Cause ED
Diuretics may cause ED by decreasing the strength of blood flowing to the penile tissues. Beta-blockers diminish nerve impulses that lead to hardening the penis. They also make it more complex for penis arteries to widen and allow blood to flow to it.
What To Do If Your Medications Are Causing Erectile Dysfunction Symptoms
1. See your doctor if you think your medications are causing ED symptoms.
2. Lower your hypertension by being careful about the foods you eat, exercising regularly or changing your blood pressure medications.
3. Some medications that treat hypertension are commonly linked to cause erectile dysfunction. Some medications may improve impotence and should be considered.
4. Diuretics and beta-blocker medications are believed to cause impotence in men. These are common medications regularly prescribed by doctors. It is possible for your GP to prescribe a combination of blood pressure medication to reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction so that a man can be able to produce a more sustained erection.
If you suffer from hypertension you can treat your erectile dysfunction
by controlling your blood pressure by getting it checked regularly and
incorporating some lifestyle or medication changes into your regular
Author: Ian Hastings ; erectiledisfunctioncausesandtreatment.com
Subscribe to our free health news letter