Various studies have shown that certain substances are important to be incorporated into the diet for men facing infertility problems. Let us see how these substances help in improving fertility:
1. Zinc: Zinc improves sperm counts by stimulating testosterone production in the testis. Thus it helps men with reduced sperm counts. One must include about 12 to 15 mg of zinc in their diet per day.
2. Vitamin C : Acts as an antioxidant and reduces agglutination of sperms. The daily recommended dose of Vitamin C is about 60 mg per day which should be increased to 100 mg in smokers due to decreased absorption.
3. Vitamin E : It is a fat soluble vitamin that provides energy and also has antioxidant effects
4. Vitamin B12 and Folic acid: Helps in improving sperm counts. It is also important for the synthesis of DNA of the sperm
5. Selenium: is also known to improve male fertility
6. Amino acids like arginine and L-Carnitine are also important for improving sperm function and counts
* Vegetables: They are an excellent source of various minerals like iron, zinc etc and form an essential part of a well balanced diet. Cereals like lentils, chickpeas, rajma, Soya contain plenty of proteins and must be consumed in fair amounts. Generous quantities of green leafy vegetables like broccoli, sprouts, spinach are rich in iron and folic acid. Folic acid is important in the synthesis of DNA within the sperm which is contains the genetic information. Cereals and green vegetables are also rich in zinc and Vitamin C which are important in improving sperm function and sperm counts. Carrots, tomatoes and potatoes are also rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and destroy toxins produced during metabolism.
* Meat and Sea foods: Lean meats are a rich source of zinc. Sea foods like oysters also contain good amounts of zinc which improve male fertility. Fish oils contain Vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant and helps in improving sperm functions.
* Fruits fresh: Fruits like apple, banana, mango, orange, sweet lime, kiwi, guava and Indian gooseberry are an important source of Vitamin C. Zinc and other minerals present in dry fruits like raisins, figs, walnuts and dates should also be incorporated in the diet as they in sperm motility and counts.
* Water: Drink plenty of water at least about 8 glasses per day. Water helps in flushing the blood of toxins and other waste products and maintains good circulation of blood to all the organs of the body. Caffeinated drinks also known to improve sperm motility thereby improving male fertility.
* Herbs: A lot of herbs have been used for many years for the treatment of male fertility. Saw palmetto, Maca, ginseng, asparagus, flax seed oils, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and fish oils are also known to improve sperm counts and sperm function. Herbs also help in improving the blood supply to the penis thereby helping men who suffer from erectile dysfunction.
# Large quantities of zinc impair motility of sperms hence do not consume large quantities in the form of supplements.
# Avoid drinking too much alcohol and consumption of tobacco
# Avoid large quantities of Vitamin A which can be toxic to the liver and reduce male fertility.
Article source :maleinfertilitycure.com/Diet_useful_to_improve_male_fertility.php