A sperm is the male fertilizing agent and plays a vital role in procreation. For conception to take place the sperms should be of good quality and quantity, healthy and of normal shape. At every ejaculation there should be at least 3-5 mL of semen. More the semen volume, more powerful will be the orgasmic contractions experienced. Studies have shown that for every mL of semen there should be at least 20 million sperms. Of these at least 75% should be alive and at least 30% should be of normal shape and form. Of the ones that are alive at least 25% should be able to have a good swimming speed to move forward in the female genital tract. Oligospermia is a term used to describe sperms counts below normal and Azoospermia indicates a complete absence of sperms in the semen.
It is not uncommon to find men dealing with the problems of low volume of semen or low sperm count. Some of the reasons include:
1. Infected semen.
2. Repeated ejaculation over a short period of time.
3. Increased masturbation.
5. Increased alcohol consumption.
6. Excessive physical or mental exertion.
7. Increased heat as by wearing tight undergarments, showering with hot water or being overweight.
8. Zinc deficiency.
9. Anabolic steroid abuse.
10. Genital deformities.
11. Disorders of the prostate gland.
12. Harmful or toxic pollutants.
What home remedies can increase the volume of semen and increase sperm counts?
1. Take a daily multi-vitamin: Stress, overloaded schedules and poor diets lead to many men missing out on essential vitamins. Take one multi-vitamin tablet daily.
2. Drink lots of water: Dehydration leads to fatigue, exhaustion and poor bodily functions and all these can lead to poor sexual functions. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
3. Exercise as often as possible: Men who are fit have better sex lives than couch potatoes! Exercise improves the overall confidence, feeling of sexiness and provides great strength and stamina to be a better performer between the sheets!
4. Watch what you eat: Avoid junk food and make sure that you maintain a healthy dietary intake with generous amounts of whole grains, proteins, vegetables, greens, fruits and salads.
5. Cigarette smoking directly affects sperm count, semen volume and sex drive. Stay away from smoking to boost your sexual performance. Remember, the Marlboro Man is not as macho as the adverts show them!
6. Alcohol in moderation (a glass or two of red wine per day) is good for your cardiovascular health and thus sexual health. Drinking to get drunk on a regular basis can only damage your liver and tune down your sexual life.
7. Get a good night’s sleep on as many night s in a week as possible. Fatigue due to loss of sleep can lead to waning sexual desires.
8. Keep your sexual hormones and organs in top form with a robust and active sex life. Regular sex keeps away prostate cancer and also is beneficial to the heart.
9. Practice yoga and meditation and try to lead a stress-free life.
10. Avoid bitter, spicy and acidic foods.
11. Avoid tight undergarments and try to sleep with loose-fitting clothes at bedtime.
12. In case you did not know, sperm levels are at the highest in the morning and afternoon making it the best times for some passionate love-making.
13. Celery is known to have great sexual stimulation properties as it contains Androsterone which is an odor free hormone and inviting to women. Raw celery is a good vegetable to boost sexual desire.
14. Oysters are rich in zinc and boost semen volume and sperm numbers. Oysters also contain Dopamine that increase sexual drive.
15. Bananas, Avocado, Almonds and other nuts have the same properties as oysters.
16. Have a good massage therapy regularly with herbal or aromatic oils to boost circulation.
By Rajgopal Venkataraman