Researchers have found that men with increased BMI (Body Mass Index) have a higher risk of erectile dysfunction. The quality of life of men is affected by erectile dysfunction. Sexual performance of obese men is almost equal to the performance of man with normal weight who is 20 years older.
Erection requires a sequence of events. Erectile dysfunction can occur when any of the events is disturbed. Nerve impulses in the brain, spinal column, around the penis and response in muscles, fibrous tissues, veins, and arteries in and around the corpora cavernosa constitute this sequence of events. Injury to any of these parts which are part of this sequence ( nerves, arteries, smooth muscles, fibrous tissue ) can cause ED.
According to principles of ayurveda kapha dosha and medho dhatu are vitiated in obese persons. These doshas block srotas (different vital channels which carry signals, nutrients, blood etc ). When srotas are blocked the blood flow and supply of nutrients to male reproductive system gets affected. Even the flow of signals is interrupted. This leads to erectile dysfunction.
Obesity affects the blood vessels of penis. Obesity leads to accumulation of cholesterol on the inner walls of penile artery (Atherosclerosis). The diameter of penile artery is very small. Atherosclerosis further reduces the penile artery’s diameter leading to reduced blood flow. Reduced blood flow to penis tissues causes erectile dysfunction.
The production of testosterone a male hormone is affected in men who are obese. The testosterone level is usually below normal in over weighted men. Low testosterone level causes erectile dysfunction and low libido. This condition is known as hypogonadism.
Psychological factors also play a role in obese men. Obese persons usually have low a self esteem. Anxiety, stress, depression also affect the sexual performance of obese persons. Thus psychological factors can cause erectile dysfunction in obese men.
Natural tips to improve erectile dysfunction in obese men:
- [sociallocker]Concentrate on weight loss
- Increase physical activity.
- A brisk walk daily for 45 minutes helps in a long way.
- Include whole grains, dry fruits, and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid deep fried, junk foods and soft drinks.
- Drink coffee and tea with less sugar or no sugar.
- Do not consume sweets, cakes and pastries etc which contain margarine.
- Say no to chocolates and ice creams.
- Avoid red meat and consume fish.
- Vigorous exercise and increased physical activity lower the risk of erection problems by 30%. These methods help obese men to improve erectile dysfunction.[/sociallocker]