According to principle of ayurveda bph or Benign prostatic hyperplasia or prostate enlargement is caused by vitiated vayu and apaana vayu ( a subcategory of Vayu)
If symptoms are mild, the following methods can be tried for relief:
1. Vata gets vitiated when natural urges are controlled. Hence do not control the natural urge of passing urine. Urinate when you first get the urge.
2. Go to the bathroom even if you do not have urge.
3. Alcohol, tobacco, coffee increase vata and vitiate it. Hence avoid alcohol, tobacco and coffee, especially after dinner.
4. Vata gets normalized and vitiation comes down when body is warm. This can be accomplished with regular exercises and keeping the body warm.
5. Mental exertion leads to increase of vata. Avoid mental exertion at work place and at home.
6. Avoid foods which cause constipation as constipation causes vitiation of vata..
Other general tips
1. Avoid drinking fluids from two hours before going to bed.
2. Avoid cold and cough medications that contain decongestants or antihistamines. These medications can increase BPH symptoms.
3. Avoid drinking excess amount of liquids. Distribute the intake of fluids throughout day.