Hypertension affects over 60 percent of adults in the United States. Often referred to as the “silent killer,” this disease can lead to heart failure, heart attack, kidney failure and stroke. Treatment for hypertension is generally controlled by physicians with the administration of anti- hypertension medications. If you continue to require medications, you are encouraged to also modify your overall lifestyle habits.
Taking medications to treat high blood pressure doesn’t necessarily mean that you have the problem under control. On occasion, the underlying cause for elevated blood pressure is not addressed prior to prescribing medication. Hypertension can attack suddenly due to over-the-counter drugs such as arthritis or pain drugs and/or dietary supplements. It is recommended that you inform your physician of any nonprescription drugs that are currently taken. There are steps that must be followed in order to combat high blood pressure.
5 Tips For A Healthier You:
Develop a Weight Loss Plan
– Be sure to obtain your Body Mass Index (BMI) as well as a waist circumference.
– If you need to loose weight, do it slowly and maintain the weight loss.
Implement Daily Physical Activity
– It is beneficial to dedicate at least 30 minutes of physical activity into your daily lifestyle. – Incorporate everyday chores with moderate physical activity to include walking, climbing stairs, etc. to achieve your goals.
Develop a Healthy Eating Plan
– Research and develop a restricted calorie meal plan that includes low saturated fat, total fat and cholesterol. Also include eating plans that are high in fruit, vegetables, and low- fat dairy products. – Document everything you consume in a food diary. Highlight areas that are successful or need improvement.
– If your goal is to actually loose weight, choose a plan that is low in calories.
Prepare Dishes that are Low in Sodium
– Eat foods that are low in salt and other forms of sodium.
Use alternative spices, garlic and onions to add flavor to your meals.
Follow Approved Medication Prescription Guidelines
– Follow the lifestyle changes mentioned above in addition to medication, if it is a must in order to lower your blood pressure.
Implement a ‘reminder’ strategy so that you will remember to take your medications as prescribed.
Even if you are taking anti- hypertension medications as a treatment for hypertension, always remember that you are also in control of the outcome. Because many of the hypertension- reduction drugs are oppressed with damaging side effects, using alternative methods to lower your blood pressure is rewardingly beneficial. Ask your physician about each prescribed drug as well as Holistic or natural remedies. Demand a healthier life by implementing a healthier lifestyle.
Author:ALVIN HOPKINSON www.minusbloodpressure.com