According to the available statistics more than 300 million people (around 6% of the world’s adult population) suffer from diabetes. The numbers are increasing fast in developing countries. Diabetes “the silent killer”, affects different parts of human body. It damages nerves, muscles, blood vessels, eyes, heart, kidneys, tissues etc. Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to heart attack, stroke, fungal infection of toes, erectile dysfunction, low sperm count,kidney failure and many more health conditions.
But these complications can be definitely prevented by controlling blood sugar level. Here are few tips to control and prevent diabetes. Changes in lifestyle immensely help to control diabetes.
Our Expert doctors recommend these book to reverse diabetes
|The New York Times bestselling author of Eat to Live and Super Immunity and one of the country’s leading experts on preventive medicine offers a scientifically proven, practical program to prevent and reverse diabetes—without drugs.At last, a breakthrough program to combat the rising diabetes epidemic and help millions of diabetics, as well as those suffering with high blood pressure and heart disease. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, the research director of the nutritional research project of the National Health Association, shows you how to live a long, healthy, and happy life—disease free. He offers a complete health transformation, starting with a diet with a high nutrient-per-calorie ratio that can be adapted for individual needs.Dr. Fuhrman makes clear that we don’t have to “control” diabetes. Patients can choose to follow better nutritional guidelines that will control it for them, even before they have lost excess weight. The end result is a medical breakthrough—a comprehensive reversal of the disease.
|Until Dr. Barnard’s scientific breakthrough, most health professionals believed that once you developed diabetes, you were stuck with it—and could anticipate one complication after another, from worsening eyesight and nerve symptoms to heart and kidney problems. But as this groundbreaking work reveals, this simply is not true. In a series of studies—the most recent funded by the National Institutes of Health—Dr. Barnard has shown that it is possible to repair insulin function and reverse type 2 diabetes. By following his scientifically proven, life-changing program, diabetics can control blood sugar three times more effectively than with the standard diet; and cut back on and in some cases eliminate medications while reducing the risk of diabetes complications.”The long overdue epic scientific breakthrough in diabetes is here…an obvious must-read for health professionals and for diabetic and potential diabetic patients.” —Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD, preventive cardiology consultant, Cleveland Clinic”This is the approach to follow…the clinically proven way to get your blood sugar under control… and start living again.”—John McDougall, MD, founder and medical director of the McDougall program”Dr. Barnard’s book is no exaggeration…The signs and symptoms of diabetes can be reversed, and he’s got the evidence to prove it.”—Jennie Brand-Miller, PhD, author of The New Glucose Revolution
- Reduce weight: If you are overweight, increase your physical activity to lose those extra pounds. Over weighted persons are more susceptible to diabetes than normal weighted counterparts.
- Exercise well: Regular exercise and increased physical activity help to reduce weight, lower blood sugar and boost sensitivity to insulin. Exercises also help to reduce stress and keep the heart healthy.
- Eat healthy food: Include plenty of vegetables and fruits in diet. The fibers in these foods help to control blood sugar. Fibers also help to lower the risk of heart attack. They help to relieve constipation and prevent indigestion. Use more whole grains and minor millets like ragi, bajra, pearl millet etc. Millets are rich in fiber, iron, minerals and vitamins. Include nuts and beans in your diet. Avoid fast foods, sweets, soft drinks, deep fried foods which tend to increase blood sugar level and body weight.
- Practice Yoga and Meditation regularly to reduce stress. Stress is the main cause for diabetes.
- Consume neem regularly. A simple remedy goes like this . Collect 2-3 tea spoons of fresh neem flowers and tender neem leaves. Soak them overnight and crush it in blender with little water. Squeez the juice and mix ½ cup of water .Drink this in empty stomach in morning. Neem flowers and neem leaves can be collected during blossoming season and dried powder of this mixture can be used when the season ends. Take care to dry this mixture in hot sun and store in cool dry place.
- Include bitter gourd and other bitter vegetables in your diet.